S02 E07. Why We Need More Women In The Music Industry And How To Achieve It with Aloe Blacc
| Duration: 29:22
It’s our first podcast of 2022 and we are celebrating it with our first male podcast guest, Aloe Blacc. Aloe is a Grammy nominated musician, singer, songwriter, rapper, record producer, and philanthropist. Aloe fell in love with hip-hop as a kid and started writing rap songs when he was nine. His illustrious career has focussed on love, good energy and positivity. “When I signed a major-label contract, I recognised the power of having a larger audience, and I promised myself that I’d use my voice for social change” he says. And that’s just one of the many things we admire about Aloe and why we wanted to share his philosophy and point of view with our audience.
Aloe also believes in empowering women so their voices can be heard too.Their perspective and point of view are needed in music and we chat with Aloe about how we can achieve this goal. We also talk about the importance of community, how we define success and what we can all do individually to be part of the change that needs to happen.
“When things happening in the world seem so terrible and dark, it’s so easy to get stuck in all the negative. But I try to do whatever I can to help people out of that. I want my music to be the light.”
Some of the questions we ask:
1. How did you get into music?
2. Did you always want to be a musician?
3. You’ve had a very successful career so far – did you always want it to be about positivity?
4. What were the influences on you that helped you create your music?
5. Why is it harder for positive songs to break through?
6. Why are positive songs so important?
7. Why do you think it’s important to have more female voices heard?
8. Why is it important for men to support female artists and producers?
9. What do you see women bring to the music industry as producers and musicians that is different from men?
10. What do you see as the change needed to get more women into the music industry?
11. Advice for women to break into the music industry from a male point of view.
12. How do we stay positive with all the bad news that’s thrown at us?
13. Who are some of the women in your life that inspired you?
Learn more about Aloe Blacc
listen on iTunes